Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Happy 15th Birthday Nigel!

Last night we celebrated my nephew Nigel, 15th birthday. When I was that age, emm about 17 years back, it was the important year to because I’ll be sitting on my SRP (now they called it PMR) and that Government Examinations would determined whether I will learn in Science class if I get good grades in Mathematics and Science or generally every subjects that I took or else, I’ll be in the Art side to study non-pure science subjects. Not to say that the art class are full with the low grades students, but some of those whom excel prefer learning the non-pure science subject too. So, actually we were automatically were selected according to our grades and to change from science stream to arts stream, its very easy, just write a letter to the MOE.
To think back, I was not that smart student (I wish I was born with a photography memory). So I must study even harder. I still remember to ‘burn the midnight oil’ until 2.00am just to study the science subject because I want to be in the science stream and I know it’s tough because of the competition in my school was so great. I still remember doing mathematics exercise over and over again just to understand the questions was so worth it! I never like reading. But to read the history book and also to understand the Geography were rather interesting if one have the ‘kits’. I did buy some small notes, size of a pocket and I’d read those while walking from my house to King Center to catch the bus there, and it really helped me in my revision. I lied if I didn’t feel the heat of stress. I nearly give up on History subjects during the mid term due to too many facts to memorize by this small unutilized brain. Give me a choice; I’d select Geography because it’s technical and scientific too. Why do I need to learn History? Why don’t I just leave it alone and live today in the fullest and hopping a better tomorrow? People never learnt from history anyway. I think I was so calculative at that age. I see numbers and facts were rather interesting, I reckoned. Finally, I succeed! I got distinction in most of the subjects including History :P and I was put in the Pure Stream Science Class with the 90% Chinese a 5% Malays and 2 Dayaks. One of the Dayak was me.
Life is so mysterious, challenging and unpredictable because we couldn’t see the future. Study hard and getting bachelor Degrees or PhDs could only satisfy us temporarily even there are people whom never have those scrolls could succeed in life and became millionaire and earn themselves titles like ‘Datuk’. I’m not complaining nor talking about how fair life is!!!! Too bad Naustrodamus is not alive else, he would become my bestest friend and everything would be different.
Enough said! To my nephew Gigel, just do what is right and let God finish the remaining. There’s hope when you believe in miracles!

No comments: